Btrfs as default filesystem for Fedora 23?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 23 17:30:09 UTC 2015

Neal Gompa <ngompa13 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> As I recall, Josef Bacik mentioned that he'd be pushing for Btrfs becoming
the default in Fedora 23. At this point, I'm personally convinced that it is
certainly ready and doable for F23.

> Perhaps other guys with more experience on this stuff could chime in with
feedback/information/etc, but it feels like we should start the process to
get everything ready for Btrfs being default in Fedora 23.

I asked about this recently on #fedora-devel (I was the one who asked
originally on this list) and was told there are no plans to make it the
default yet. It's amazing that it was originally planned to be the default
on F16 (see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Btrfs ). But I don't want to see
data loss, and not knowing much about filesystems, am sticking to the default.