Btrfs as default filesystem for Fedora 23?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:20:57 UTC 2015

On 23 June 2015 at 14:15, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox at bzb.us> wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As I recall, Josef Bacik mentioned that he'd be pushing for Btrfs
>>> becoming the default in Fedora 23
>>>
>>> . At this point, I'm personally convinced that it is certainly ready and
>>> doable for F23.
>>

>> Well actually he said his "plan" was to push for F23.  I've been using
>> btrfs raid 6 for several years now and have been lucky I haven't encountered
>> any issues - but if you subscribe to the mailing list you'll see others
>> haven't been quite as lucky.  I'm sure he'll propose it once he believes it
>> is ready.  When proposing a default change it is prudent to be cautious. In
>> the meantime it's there to use for early adopters; and the more people who
>> test the faster issues will be identified and corrected.  Just be sure
>> you've taken the proper precautions.... ;-)
>>

>> --
>

> Certainly, but with none of the features in Btrfs actually emitting scary
> "experimental" warnings anymore, and even all features working in btrfs RAID
> 5/6 now, I think we should really start pushing it to more people. Or at
> least develop some kind of test plan to prove the "worthiness" of using it
> as default. We must have something, ne?

So if there are problems who is going to deal with the users, diagnose
the issues and fix them? Those are going to be the people who will
need to push for this feature if they think it is ready or not. I
would start by finding out who they are, talking with them and then
looking at what time frame they think the feature would be ready.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.