F23 Self Contained Change: Netizen Spin

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jun 23 20:23:14 UTC 2015

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 18:52:18 -0400
Corey Leong <coreyleong at gmail.com> wrote:

> I refined the the Detailed Description [1] [2] per the questions
> concerning the Fedora Spin development.
>
> Detailed Description
> -----------------------------
>
> Fedora Netizen is an open source operating system for enabling
> internet citizens, also known as netizens, to engage online services
> and communities. Fedora Netizen includes software packages for
> focusing on civic engagement and internet safety features related to
> security and privacy.
>
> Nonprofit Organizations and public agencies will benefit from Fedora
> Netizen by switching to free open-source software (FOSS) for running
> public services on the Internet. Fedora Netizen empowers netizens
> with their online activism for changing the world with the help of
> open source software.

So this sounds like it might be a server variant instead of a live
media? If NPO's are intended to use it to run services, I would think
basing it off server and perhaps working on some server roles would be
good here...

Perhaps you meant that this would be good for NPO's users to use as a
workstation to talk to their servers?

If this is a collection of packages, perhaps it would be as well served
by having a group available of these packages? Then anyone could
install those from any other Fedora install. Of course they would need
to have network then...

> I removed the psychology topics since it seemed to be a bit confusing
> to others which means users would also have been confused about the
> spin. Regarding the listing of the packages, my intent is to simply
> make users aware of what open source software is included in the spin
> by categorizing the packages. I intend to include best practices,
> how-to's, and other related documentation on a spin related website
> for the user to configure and customize on their own after reading
> documentation.

ok.

<snip trademark thing already addressed>

kevin