F23 Self Contained Change: Node.js 0.12

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 20:23:11 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 1:05 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:
> What the version of v8 will be? I am asking, since rubygem-therubyracer
> is using system version of v8 and I am bit afraid what impact it will have.

3.28.73 for nodejs 0.12, 4.2.77.13 for iojs.

Looks like rubygem-therubyracer is still on 3.16.  :-(

I don't mind doing a v8-3.14 compat package for a few Fedora releases,
since I'm still going to be maintaining it in EPEL for the forseeable
future anyway...

> How is Chromium compatible with the updated Node.js (not user of
> Chromium though, neither it is in Fedora AFAIK).

Not at all, nor has it been ever, nor will it be ever.  Last time I
checked spot didn't even bother separating v8 from chromium anymore,
it's gotten so bad.  :-/

> And since the two questions above, I am not sure it should not be system
> wide change (not mentioning all the nodejs- packages which depends on
> Node.js).

Well the nodejs-* packages are clearly within our SIG, which the
Change policy says is okay for Self-Contained Change.

The v8 changes do affect two other packages, though.  I could adjust
the category of the wiki page, or split out the v8 changes from
io.js/nodejs012 into a v8 systemwide one.  But the change deadline was
yesterday, is this still okay?

-T.C.