packages to retrofit to workstation

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jun 29 02:04:44 UTC 2015

Hi, guys and gals,
	I am currently running the FEL spin of f20.  I am going to upgrade to a
later version, probably F22, by the save users and reformat process.
However in the rush to cloud/workstation, FEL spin no longer appears
anywhere at this time.  I currently have listed all the programs I use
and wish to restore to get back to my current level of development.
Also there seems to have been a devolution towards binary system files
that has somehow taken over linux.  This is not good.  there is
absolutely no need for binary formatted system files, and to have them
is to devolve to an earlier era, circa 1960.   The move to eliminate
binary files was due to the issues of upgrading to new systems and the
inability to read and decipher what an older system was doing.
	You may lambaste me for not posing this stuff as a question or even
just as a rant, but losing FEL was not good, and the other spins from
people who had solved the issues required to get a system to be a master
development station in an area of study were apparently thrown out with
the old bathwater so to speak.  All of this is a sad loss for Fedora,
and even a cash loss to Redhat eventually if they go the same way.
	Please, before going too far, look, discuss the history and find out
why Linux was developed the way it was.
	I have to choose a distribution to use.  For now I will update to F22.
But if this run to the past continues, I will find another solution.  I
must take care of my long standing of development and good design
principles.  I hope you all get to that perspective without losing too
much of the good stuff that so many have brought to the Linux community.

Regards,
Les Howell