F23 System Wide Change: jQuery

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 29 14:20:11 UTC 2015

Am 29.06.2015 um 16:13 schrieb Vít Ondruch:
>> That doesn't really help, since the main advantage to this Change
>> Proposal is having a single package to update when fixes are needed,
>> but nearly all web applications take pieces of jQuery out and minify
>> them (taking only the parts they need in order to reduce download and
>> processing time to speed up execution).
>
> Honestly, how much web applications do we have packaged?
>
> And also, I am not convinced the the practice "take out some part of
> jQuery and minify it" is wort of the effort and is good practice, since
> that way, you probably avoid all caching mechanisms on the way from you
> server to the users browser. Of course the question is if the browsers
> are smart enough to keep cached single copy of jQuery once they download
> it ....

the question is simple answered: caching is based on domain *and* URI
including all params, always, anywhere for proxies as well as for
browsers and no browser is in the position trying to be smart in that
context because any other behavior would be broken

a web client is not allowed to say "hey, i have a /jquery.js in the
cache from application A and re-use it for application B" because that
would be *easy* attack vector