FESCO Elections - June 2015 - Results

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 14:21:45 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On 29 June 2015 at 07:42, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Ploumistos
> > <alex.ploumistos at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'd say that a vote of "0" next to each name, pretty much counts as
> >> "none".
> >
> > Yes, but those results are not visible at all because of the method of
> > voting we use.  The suggestion of a None option would be a bit more
> > clear in terms of conveying that voter's opinion.
> >

> We could also change the voting method. The new elections code allows
> for multiple ways to vote.
>
> In the past the following things are usually done during elections:
>
> 1) Various blog posts by candidates and various people that an
> election is occurring.
> 2) Emails during the election period reminding people there is an election.
>
> If these things happened this time, I missed them completely.

One thing - I let Jan to run elections this time and I tried to help him as
much as possible but I didn't want to interfere too much with elections as
I was considering to run too (but in the end, I decided to skip this round
as I'm moving to my new responsibilities within Red Hat and it would be just
too much). You all know, how hard is to find volunteers and help them in
the beginning and I think Jan did a good job for the his first time. I was
following announcements, he even consulted some mails with me. I can see an
issue with email sent ahead and not on the opening day. But otherwise I think
elections were covered pretty well - we spammed Fedora Magazine with
interviews and almost crashed it... There were several announcements going
to the lists. To be honest, I'd expect much more from candidates. We always
encouraged them to run campaign (from the time we switched from town halls
to it)...

Unfortunately there were conflicting events that kept people busy and miss
it - Summit, FUDCon, in many places start of the season of summer vacations.

One idea I have is to send a notice to *all* eligible voters based on FAS
account directly that elections are open as it is one of the responsibilities
of having FAS account to care about who represents you. I know, some people
will complain they don't want such emails/spam but it might be better than
less people being informed and missing elections. And again - eligible voters
should vote, it's your project! (In the Czech Republic ballot papers are
distributed to every single eligible voter, so it is precedence :).

So I'd like to say big thanks to Jan for running elections and covering it
pretty well for the first time even it wasn't perfect. It will be next time
(or you know, every time someone finds something :).

Jaroslav