DNF and regular expressions

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jun 29 18:32:46 UTC 2015

Am 29.06.2015 um 20:19 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:12:57 +0200, Germano Massullo wrote:
>
>> What is wrong with DNF's regular expression
>> # dnf remove *debuginfo*.fc20.x86_64
>> ? I am on F22 but I have a lot packets that should match that regular
>> expression, but dnf does not find them.
>> I also tried to add some escape chars like
>> dnf remove *\-debuginfo\-*.fc20.x86_64
>> but the result is the same
>
> I've read the rest of the thread, but note that "rpm -qa" based queries piped
> to "xargs rpm -e" still work fine for a package removal task like this

that may be true but you hardly can sell DNF as improvement if you need
such workarounds while YUM worked perfectly for many years while working
around the package manager in general should be avoided because no
longs, no dependency solving and no useful confirmation

given that the dnf autocompletion is also horrible slow comapared with
YUM i see still no advantages from the change, try "yum cl<TAB>" versus
"dnf cl<TAB>", in case of DNF it feels like a network request