DNF and regular expressions

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 09:23:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:32:46 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> > I've read the rest of the thread, but note that "rpm -qa" based queries piped
> > to "xargs rpm -e" still work fine for a package removal task like this
>
> that may be true but you hardly can sell DNF as improvement if you need
> such workarounds while YUM worked perfectly for many years while working
> around the package manager in general should be avoided because no
> longs, no dependency solving and no useful confirmation

Well, it's not me who's trying to "sell DNF as improvement". Rather the
opposite. I'm not a fan of it yet. Examples found in various places
on the Internet:

  # dnf whatprovides libtoolize
  Using metadata from Sun Mar 22 23:13:16 2015
  Error: No Matches found

  # yum whatprovides libtoolize
  libtool-2.4.2-32.fc22.x86_64 : The GNU Portable Library Tool
  Repo        : fedora
  Matched from:
  Filename    : /usr/bin/libtoolize

Or this:

  # dnf search pkg-config
  Last metadata expiration check performed 1:21:31 ago on Tue Jun 30 09:51:23 2015.
  =========================== N/S Matched: pkg-config ============================
  rubygem-pkg-config.noarch : A pkg-config implementation by Ruby
  rubygem-pkg-config-doc.noarch : Documentation for rubygem-pkg-config
  mingw32-pkg-config.x86_64 : A tool for determining compilation options for the
                            : win32 target
  mingw64-pkg-config.x86_64 : A tool for determining compilation options for the
                            : win64 target
  perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig.noarch : Simplistic interface to pkg-config
  python-pkgconfig.noarch : A Python interface to the pkg-config command line tool
  python3-pkgconfig.noarch : A Python3 interface to the pkg-config command line
                           : tool

D'oh! It only examined package name and summary, but the package name
is "pkgconfig", and hence it only found irrelevant packages and cannot
be told to search files inside packages. No, "dnf search all …" only
adds package description and URL to search within.

> given that the dnf autocompletion is also horrible slow comapared with
> YUM i see still no advantages from the change, try "yum cl<TAB>" versus
> "dnf cl<TAB>", in case of DNF it feels like a network request

Completion is one of the first things I disable, since it has crept
into tools like a disease and is completely broken for me. Various
bug reports have not been responded to. Completion with yum-builddep
always looks at the repos. Painful.