Thunderbird-38.0.1 integrates lightning? Very disturbing!!

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 30 15:22:38 UTC 2015

Am 30.06.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Ahmad Samir:
> IIUC, what's happening here is that they bundle the extension with
> Thunderbird 38 so it's installed and enabled by default; so when you
> create a new Thunderbird profile,
> /usr/lib*/thunderbird/distribution/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/
> will get copied to ~/.thunderbird/<PROFILE_NAME>/extensions; that also
> happens if you run 38.0.1 for the first time and didn't have the
> Lightning extension already installed (I was surprised to see the
> calendar pane in Thunderbird after updating to 38.0.1, since I didn't
> have that extension installed previously).
>
> Also (IIUC) Lightning will be updated in your profile, just like any
> other user-installed extension.
>
> So what you can do is just copy the dir from
> /usr/lib*/thunderbird/distribution/extensions and restart Thunderbird
> or re-install it from addons.mozilla.org, I think either would lead to
> the same result

but that all makes zero sense

* i had lightning installed for many years as user extension
* i never used the rpm because it was always too late after TB updates
* now due start TB 38 it was updated
* it is still a user-extension in the profile
* if i uninstall it it's gone
* the files from the package still exists unused

the point is if it is now part of the TB package it should be present
after uninstall the extension in the user-profile becasue the state now
is no improvement at all and just wasting space for no gain