Intend to retire kde-plasma-daisy

Michael J Gruber mjg at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 2 10:52:01 UTC 2015

Kevin Kofler venit, vidit, dixit 01.03.2015 06:43:
> Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> this is a heads up notice that I intend to retire kde-plasma-daisy, the
>> reasons being:
>>
>> - no upstream updates in almost 3 years
>
> Then retiring it is pretty much the only option you have.
>
>> - FTBFS in rawhide because there's no kde-workspace{-devel}
>
> That's expected. Plasma 4 and thus kde-workspace 4 is dead. We ship Plasma 5
> in Fedora 22 and newer.
>
>> - I don't use it myself.
>>
>> - Repackaging for Plasma 5 would probably require a new package
>> plasma-daisy (which should not pass review, given upstream is dead), or
>> a kde5-plasma-daisy subpackage (but then the spec would still FTBFS), or
>> who knows what. I certainly don't know and don't see any specs to follow.
>
> It is not merely a matter of repackaging, the whole code would have to be
> ported, which includes rewriting the entire user interface in QML (QML 2, to
> be precise). Plasmoids are what requires most work to port to the KDE
> Frameworks 5 world.
>
>> If anyone would like to take over I'm happy to pass the package on
>> rather than retire it.
>
> Said volunteer would also have to take up upstream maintainership and do the
> porting described above. If they aren't already a KDE developer, chances of
> success are grim.
>
>> Retirement is planned for rawhide and, possibly also the F22 branch,
>> depending on what will remain in there kde-wise.
>
> Fedora 22 will also ship with (only) Plasma 5, so please retire the obsolete
> plasmoid also in Fedora 22.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Good to know, thanks!

Retired in f22 and rawhide now. Two remarks about the process:

- 'fedpkg' always makes me feel uneasy. I don't know what's going on
under the hood, and it messes up the git DAG. Those two separate
retirement commits should have been one plus a merge. I'd rather use
pure git here (but fedpkg also does some message bus thing).

- New badge, yay :)

Michael