Failed to load vesa with undefined symbol

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 4 00:43:50 UTC 2015

Adam Jackson composed on 2015-03-03 16:21 (UTC-0500):

> On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 14:29 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Adam Jackson composed on 2015-03-03 14:09 (UTC-0500):

>> > Aw dang, someone still actually uses vesa.

>> Isn't vesa the better remaining option for those whose "native" driver got
>> orphaned (e.g. mga, sis)?

> I was expressing dismay that that set remains non-empty, yes.

I recognized that it was, but was asking a serious question. I googled "vesa
vs. fbdev" before writing. My question has apparently been asked often, but I
found no actual answer saying whether one might ever be preferable to the
other, and no mention at all of the modesetting driver. Changing the search
to "vesa fbdev modesetting" mostly found (EE) excerpts from Xorg.0.log and
subsequent directions to ATI/Intel/NVidia users to ignore them and/or
uninstall them.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/