FESCO request to revert password confirmation change in F22

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 7 00:27:02 UTC 2015

David Cantrell wrote:
> From what I'm reading in the meeting logs and the ticket comments, it
> appears the revert decision is basically a temporary solution and a more
> formal security policy will be discussed later.  We had technical
> arguments in favor of the change originally, but I have yet to see
> technical arguments against the change come together in any sort of
> concrete policy.
[...]
> Without an official policy on the matter and only a temporary solution for
> now, upstream won't be changing.  Fedora will need to carry this deviation
> as a patch in package git for F-22.

In other words, you want to give in only temporarily for one release and we
will have to fight this nonsense again at every single release?

Why can't you just take a "no" as a "no"?

It is not Anaconda's job to reject perfectly valid passwords just because it
doesn't like them. Even the empty string is a valid password.

        Kevin Kofler