some differences between "doc" stuff and "license" stuff

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sun Mar 8 12:48:29 UTC 2015

While introducing "%license" in my packages I have noticed these
differences that packagers should be aware of, which I haven't seen
documented:

· There is a macro named _licensedir which is analogous to _docdir, but
there is no _pkglicensedir corresponding to _pkgdocdir. Use
"%{_licensedir}/%{name}" instead.

· Files under /usr/share/doc are automatically tagged as documentation
files even if "%doc" isn't used. Files under /usr/share/licenses are not
automatically tagged as license files, so they need to be preceded by
"%license" in file lists.

· RPMlint warns about CRLF line terminators under /usr/share/doc but
not under /usr/share/licenses.

Björn Persson