FESCo Meeting Minutes (2015-03-04)

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Mar 9 06:19:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is my point .
> Here is where you guys think it is     ----------<30 light
> years>----------------> .

I admit I like the irony of you complaining about my use of metaphor
while yours fails to state whose point is on earth and therefore I
have no idea if being 30 light years away from your point is
necessarily a bad thing. I like air.

> The point I am worried about is that Chris and you are treating this as a
> binary problem versus a spectrum one.

No, I'm treating it as someone bringing a dead cat to a dinner party problem.

When someone says a compulsory password quality policy is actionable,
they are telling me my judgement cannot be trusted for my own device,
without respect to context. And yet I see other OS's, distros, mobile
devices, none of which have such a requirement or are yet even more
permissive, and that makes me distrust these proponents. A gap in
trust has formed, and widens as proponents don't even acknowledge such
concerns and push for the change violating myriad long standing
expectations in the relationship between user, device and OS. But I
must comply if I depend on the GUI installer, and this abrogation
constitutes a misfeasance. That makes me mad because it's unfair.

I challenge you to find a single flaw in that sequence.

All I'm saying is, take the dead cat off the table. There are plenty
of other things to discuss before things are so dire we have to
seriously consider eating road kill.

> I am more worried about the general case of the process of this 'request for
> change'. If all it is going to take to make a team do something would be a
> lot of email requests..

I don't know what general case you're referring to, or what in actual
practice about it worries you or what your propose as an alternative.

The process I was mainly referring to is the entirety of 2nd paragraph
of self-contained change here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy

--
Chris Murphy