Complicated RPM dependency generator question

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Mar 12 13:04:33 UTC 2015

libguestfs.spec overrides the RPM internal dependency generator in
order to add a very specific and rather narrow set of automated
dependencies to a single sub-package.  The spec file has:

  Source1:       libguestfs-find-requires.sh
  %global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
  %global __find_provides %{_rpmconfigdir}/find-provides
  %global __find_requires %{SOURCE1} %{_rpmconfigdir}/find-requires

where libguestfs-find-requires.sh is the following script:

  http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/tree/libguestfs-find-requires.sh

We've used this for years and that in itself isn't the problem.

The problem is that the same spec file has OCaml bindings, and I want
to use a nice feature of the internal dependency generator to add some

  %global __ocaml_requires_opts -i Xml
  %global __ocaml_provides_opts -i Xml

That doesn't work, because the internal dependency generator isn't
being used.

This leaves me a bit stuck.

_Ideally_ I don't want to override the internal dependency generator
at all.  But I still want to add the automated dependencies using a
script.  Is there a way to customize the internal generator with
scripts?  Is there another approach I'm missing here?

Rich.