Why -mtune=atom?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Mar 12 13:05:30 UTC 2015

Am 12.03.2015 um 14:02 schrieb Florian Weimer:
> The default CFLAGS set by RPM include “-mtune-atom”.
>
> Why?  I doubt Atom CPUs are Fedora's primary target.  It's not even a
> documented GCC option.  There is such a wide variety of CPUs under this
> label that it's not even clear what it would mean.
>
> If it's better than “-mtune=generic” or the GCC default, shouldn't GCC
> be fixed?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support

Fedora 11 has i586 as the base 32-bit x86 architecture.

For Fedora 12, we will switch to i686 as the base architecture
(including CMOV), and optimize for Atom processors.

This means we will lose support for the following CPU families:

     Intel i586 (all)
     National Semiconductor Geode processors
     VIA C3 (Ezra and Samuel Cores)
     AMD Geode GX

AMD Geode LX (as used in the OLPC XO laptop) and later Geode NX
processors should still work. Those interested are, of course, welcome
to set up a secondary arch for older processors.