Harden_all_packages_with_position-independent_code + guile modules

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Mar 12 16:06:55 UTC 2015

On 03/12/2015 04:39 PM, Moez Roy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:49 AM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
>> On 12/03/15 14:41, Adam Jackson wrote:

>>> We may want to revisit this, honestly.
+1

> I believe most of the issues should get resolved on its own after the
> mass rebuild of all the packages.
>
> Rel-Eng will do the mass rebuild as soon as they get the green light from Jakub.
Well, all I can say, building rawhide packages (esp. C++) seems to have
evolved into a lottery and rendered working one Fedora packages into an
adventure.

E.g. I am facing packages which one day build, but fail to build the
other day. Today, I have been facing a package which builds in local
rawhide mocks, but fails in official koji.

To be honest, this is very non-satisfactory!

> I tried suggesting 2 mass rebuilds; 1 mass rebuild of all packages
> right now, and another mass rebuild of all the packages 1 month later
> when gcc5 becomes more stable, but they said no as it costs too much
> resources.
Not sure - IMO, we need to minimize the causes of breakdowns, because at
the moment too many issues seem to be interacting at the same time (
GCC-5.0, "harding", "usual package upgrade churn).

A non "hardened" mass rebuild, would have been an intermediate step
which would have been helpful, but ... it's too late, IMO.

Ralf