mpich 3.1.4 in rawhide - soname changes

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 18:00:23 UTC 2015

Sandro Mani <manisandro at gmail.com> writes:

>> openmpi seems to be using
>>
>> /usr/lib64/openmpi/bin/
>> /usr/lib64/openmpi/lib/
>>
>> so perhaps the "mpich" option is better than a generic "mpi"?
>>
> Yes, and this is the way it was before. I'd say this is just an
> oversight in mpich-modules.patch [1], @MPILIBNAME@ changed for the
> libmpich.so -> libmpi.so rename, and it ended up having this side
> effect.

Yes, it's surely a bug.  It will likely break rebuilds, so it's probably
worth holding off on them.  (I made a BZ report earlier after puzzling
over why the package rebuild I was asked for failed.)

Do we know if the actual ABI is incompatible, rather than library
names/contents?  If not, a compatibility libmpich might be useful,
partly to avoid breaking existing binaries and partly because I suspect
some things will look for a library of that name, at least when
building.