F22 Self Contained Change: Disabled Repositories Support

Mike Pinkerton pselists at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 18 16:21:43 UTC 2015

On 18 Mar 2015, at 08:40, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> On 03/16/2015 06:48 PM, Mike Pinkerton wrote:
>> If the working group deems the software to be that useful,
>> wouldn't it be better to bring its packaging up to the
>> quality of the "official" Fedora repo, and make it more easily
>> discoverable by all Fedora users, regardless of whether
>> they choose to use that "product" or a spin or a "non-product"
>> install of Fedora?
>
> Another example - I have two projects in Copr:
>  * spark-cli - command line interface for Spark Core
>  * nanoblogger - blog with just static pages generated by bash sript
>
> I have no intention to get them into main Fedora. Mostly because I
> am not willing to fix bugs. I just packaged it for
> myself. It works for me and it may work most people. Therefore I
> assume that it may be useful for somebody out there.
>
> We (as Fedora) simply could not package and maintain everything
> with the same quality.

I understand the usefulness of copr for software in development,
experimental builds, personal projects, work in progress, etc.  I
even understand making software there discoverable via a web-based
search page -- which you already have.

What I don't understand is the wisdom of an official Fedora "product"
endorsing a copr when either the software or packaging (or both) is
not of sufficient quality to make it into the official Fedora repo.

--
Mike