gdk-pixbuf2 package splitting

Mamoru TASAKA mtasaka at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 20 15:18:42 UTC 2015

Hello:

Richard Hughes wrote on 03/20/2015 11:51 PM:
> I've just pushed two new gdk-pixbuf2 builds to rawhide *not* F22.
>
> * The first splits out the modules (e.g. the ico, jpeg, gif loaders)
> to a separate subpackage called gdk-pixbuf2-modules -- which we'll
> certainly need on workstation but really not on cloud or text-only
> installs
> * The second splits out the xlib code which hasn't been touched
> upstream since about 2008. It's the only thing that drags in half of
> Xorg onto the cloud image thanks to the
> PackageKit->AppStreamGlib->GdkPixbuf dep chain.

Looking at gdk-pixbuf2-2.31.3-3.fc23, gdk-pixbuf2-xlib-devel
contains pkgconfig files, libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so symlink but no headers?
So how can we know what API (functions) needs -lgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0
linking when using them?

i.e. Looks like /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-xlib/ should also be
moved to gdk-pixbuf2-xlib-devel.

> For the first change I'm also going to add the -modules dep to gtk2
> and gtk3 so we just do the right thing on upgrades. For the second I
> think everything should be okay without any rebuilds, as rpm will be
> able to drag on the right subpackage for the
> libgdk_pixbuf_xlib-2.0.so.0()(64bit) dep.
>
> The second change has the potential to break the following packages if
> they are not using pkgconfig-style deps:
>
> alltray-0:0.71b-8.fc21.x86_64
> camorama-0:0.19-14.fc21.x86_64
> icewm-0:1.3.8-4.fc21.x86_64
> libreoffice-core-1:4.3.2.2-5.fc21.x86_64
> sawfish-0:1.11-1.fc21.x86_64
> superkb-0:0.22-6.fc21.x86_64
> w3m-img-0:0.5.3-18.fc21.x86_64
> xscreensaver-base-1:5.32-10.fc21.x86_64
>
> I'm going to go through the list now and make sure everything still builds fine.
>
> Richard.

Regards,
Mamoru