/boot on Btrfs still not supported, main problem is anaconda and grubby

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Fri Mar 20 19:19:29 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> said:
> Please let's pick a standard (or at least Fedora standard) way to
> store boot loader entries.  The current system is awful.  It's extra
> awful when you have to reinstall or switch boot loaders for whatever
> reason and all your boot entries are only listed in the old config
> file.

Yeah, as much as I hate to suggest http://xkcd.com/927/ it seems to
apply.  I think there should be some file, external to any/all boot
loaders, that has the configured boot entries.  Kernels, options, other
OSes, etc., should all be listed there, and then the end-result boot
loader configs (grub.cfg, syslinux.cfg, whatever) should basically be
considered files that will be automatically overwritten at will (with
maybe a flag in the "global" config to stop that, but then there would
not be any updates).

If it weren't for UEFI secure boot support, I'd suggest just switching
to syslinux by default anyway.  GRUB2 just seems to be a mess IMHO.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>