[Fedora-packaging] bundling of jemalloc

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 21 19:00:40 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 02:31:03PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Firefox and xulrunner are bundling their own copy of jemalloc (try
> "strings /usr/lib64/xulrunner/xulrunner |grep jemalloc", or similarly
> with /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox-bin).
>
> Why isn't this recorded in the RPM provides (and why is there no mention
> of jemalloc in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries)?  Are
> there any other known cases outside Mozilla products?  I found bug
> 788500 about unbundling jemalloc from redis.

If jemalloc would be its own package, we would probably use that for
nfs-ganesha too. Currently glibc/malloc is used, but jemalloc is well
tested by the nfs-ganesha community and could have some benefits. I have
not checked the sources of jemalloc, so I can not say if I would be
a suitable maintainer for it.

Niels