glibc fix to allow instlangs to really work -- too late for f22?

Carlos O'Donell carlos at
Mon Mar 23 15:06:19 UTC 2015

On 03/18/2015 09:05 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Paul Howarth <paul at> wrote:
>> On 18/03/15 11:55, Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Matthew Miller
>>> <mattdm at> wrote:
>>>> The glibc team has a fix for a longstanding issue, which is that
>>>> "instlangs" hasn't worked in the installer. This means that in a
>>>> minimal image of about 400MB, 100MB is translation information. (Of
>>>> course we want Fedora to be international, but there are many cases
>>>> like Docker containers where no human is really even looking inside, so
>>>> it's just overhead.)
>>>> In the cloud and docker images, we've been carrying horribly hacks
>>>> (really, horrible) to strip this out ofter the fact. The new fix would
>>>> let us get the same effect the right way. I'm told that this is a
>>>> low-risk change and does not affect the rest of glibc. So, the question
>>>> -- I guess mostly for FESCo, but in general -- is: should we get this
>>>> in before the beta, or should it wait for F23?
>>> Isn't this causing RPM dependency issues when trying to create rawhide
>>> chroots on RHEL6 hosts via mock?  I am fairly sure it's the reason
>>> COPR rawhide chroots are failing.  If so, then I don't think we want
>>> it in f22 until that is fixed.
>> Didn't this commit fix that?
> Ah, from yesterday.  I hadn't seen that yet.  I hope it does, because
> I have things to build in Rawhide COPRs :).
> Still, I would suggest waiting at least a few days to see if there is
> any other fallout before we consider it for f22.

It has been 5 days since the fix, and we have had positive confirmation
that COPR rawhide builds are proceeding [1].

I've filed the F22 bug to do the backport [2].

Given the internal testing we've done with the patch, and the Fedora
Rawhide shakeout, and the desire to improve the cloud/container image
sizes, I'm strongly proposing we commit this change for the Beta freeze.

As discussed the change has no impact on code, it's entirely a packaging
change, which carries it's own risks, but the same kind of risks as a
runtime change. Only users running with kickstart --instLangs or setting
%_install_langs are going to see any difference.



More information about the devel mailing list