"dnf search" as braindead as "yum search"

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:25:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 06:15:41 -0400 (EDT), Jan Silhan wrote:

> I get the same result from "dnf search" and "yum search". It wasn't found
> in package name nor summary so it's searched in description.

IMO, it ought to search in filelists either by default or when specifying
the "all" argument (which is misleading since "all != everything anyway).

> DNF doesn't match substrings by default in (what)provides command. You have to use '*':
> e.g. `dnf whatprovides *libtoolize` [1].

There are other counter-examples:

# dnf search mouse dpi tool|wc -l
3144

Too much lines of output for a human-being to parse, especially since the
top of the list doesn't ring a bell:

  kmousetool.x86_64 : A program that clicks the mouse for you
  xdotool.x86_64 : Fake keyboard/mouse input

# dnf search mouse dpi tool|grep -i matched
=========================== N/S Matched: mouse, tool ===========================
============================== N/S Matched: tool ===============================
============================== N/S Matched: mouse ==============================
=============================== N/S Matched: dpi ===============================
============================== N/S Matched: tool ===============================
============================== N/S Matched: mouse ==============================
============================== N/S Matched: tool ===============================
============================== N/S Matched: mouse ==============================

Conclusively, it didn't find a "mouse dpi tool" anywhere, but just the
individual words.

It *would* be successful, if it searched filelists. However, doing that
via "dnf whatprovides …" involves a lot of creativity regarding wildcards,
or else I could never come up with the actual spelling of the tool's file
name.

> Btw fedora devel list doesn't serve for reporting DNF bugs.

Meanwhile I've already added a comment to a related RFE.
I prefer filing bugs only if there is agreement/confirmation that it
is considered a bug to fix eventually. It is entirely non-productive
to open a ticket and have developers disagree or not respond to a
ticket.

That's why I posted my thoughts here. When I search, I do it with
repoquery and grep, because yum/dnf search isn't powerful enough and
hence not helpful.