Pushing the extra AppData files into Rawhide

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:40:09 UTC 2015

In the effort to make the AppStream generation simpler I'm going to
deprecate the fedora-appstream repo[1]. This was always designed to be
a stop-gap until upstreams had done new tarball releases and to
"rescue" applications that we care a lot about, and we're now at a
point where over 50% of upstream software ships AppData and the
general consensus upstream and downstream is that AppData is a good
thing. We've now even put the requirement for AppData in our packaging
guidelines.

I would ask the package maintainer (or a proven packager) to move the
AppData files in the srpm itself. I'm happy to help for the
lost-maintainer case but there are just too many for me to do myself.
All the .appdata.xml files have been sent upstream and if the
downstream package maintainer isn't happy shipping it them we should
just drop the file. The fedora-appstream repo was never meant to be a
long term solution and is slowly turning into a graveyard.

The preferred way of doing this is to add a new "Source" in the .spec,
to upload the file using fedpkg new-sources and then to install the
file using something like "install -Dm 0644 -p %{SOURCE2}
%{buildroot}%{_datadir}/appdata/foo.appdata.xml" but you can also
install it using the EOF trick too.

If the AppData file already exists upstream, please let me know. I
should have already removed all distro-overrides where an upstream
file exists, but there are a few apps that ship a file in the tarball
without installing it.

The spreadsheet is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6Oa9yP4oHFvbwyd0aNjEL92LUmKclLQJGsAbkRMHE8/edit?usp=sharing
-- I can't promise cookies, but I'll really appreciate it and it means
the applications won't disappear from Fedora 23. Yell if you have any
questions.

Thanks,

Richard

[1] https://github.com/hughsie/fedora-appstream/