Captive portal detection on wired connections - bug or feature?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Mar 26 03:02:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 22:26:56 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > Lots of people have been seeing it, it may be related to some issues
> > with the Fedora infrastructure this afternoon (the check works by
> > trying to contact a Fedora server).
>
> I've seen them regularly in the last few hours but I'm on hotel wifi,
> so it could also be just crappy wifi.
>
> The dnsec-trigger package which I'm also running also has hotspot
> detection, using http://hotspot-nocache.fedoraproject.org/ which
> does not seem to cause tehse false positives.

This was most likely caused by some issues with out proxy servers this
evening. We were adding 3 new proxy servers into the rotation and there
were some config issues with some of them. ;(

This would have only affected some folks in North America sporadically,
(when they happened to hit a proxy that wasn't working right) not
everyone.

Sorry this happened, everything should be back to normal now.

kevin