Captive portal detection on wired connections - bug or feature?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 16:23:50 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 2015-03-26 at 10:45 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-03-25 at 21:02 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > This was most likely caused by some issues with out proxy servers this
> > > evening. We were adding 3 new proxy servers into the rotation and there
> > > were some config issues with some of them. ;(
> > >
> > > This would have only affected some folks in North America sporadically,
> > > (when they happened to hit a proxy that wasn't working right) not
> > > everyone.
> > >
> > > Sorry this happened, everything should be back to normal now.
> >
> > I think it would make sense to do a second ping to some other server if
> > the first one to fedoraproject.org fails, for robustness. Maybe to
> > redhat.com, or something that should never be down like google.com (my
> > vote), or to someplace that promises not to track users, like
> > duckduckgo.com (hardly matters much for a connectivity check?).
>
> We could always use the Google servers that Android uses by default,
> instead of Fedora :)  Those would be pretty well guaranteed to be up...

I would hope that the Fedora infra will do better in the future to make sure
that we don't run into those problems again.

Using Google's servers would probably mean that we would need to start making
this opt-in, to avoid information leaks. We've been working on the privacy policy
to the same effect.