Texlive packaging

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 28 02:39:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-27 at 20:07 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MM> Basically, this is an end-run around the requirement of doing
> MM> individual package reviews for a zillion completely separate
> MM> packages, right?
>
> That was my opinion, but you could argue the same for Perl, I
> suppose.
> We're essentially packaging a complete distribution.  There aren't
> too
> many examples of that around.
>
> My proposal was to machine-generate the individual specs and have
> FESCo
> grant an exception to have them reviewed in a block.  The hardest
> part,
> of course, would have been the licensing, except that texlive had
> undergone a rather complete license audit and every single file has
> been
> cleared.  I don't know if that's still valid.

I don't see a practical difference in the licensing between any
arrangement of the same files, so long as we're ultimately packaging
the same files. Whether one file in a single package of 16,000 files
has a license issue, or the same file in a 5-file package that's part
of a 3200 package collection has a license issue, we still have the
same license issue.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey