Issues around packaging CoreOS' rocket for fedora

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 21:21:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 03:46:13PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> ML> Is there a recommended way to retrieve, extract and track the files
> ML> so that they can be compiled into the gzipped tarball which can then
> ML> be included in a package?
>
> I cannot think of anything in existing Fedora policy which would permit
> that.
>
> You can, of course, depend upon all of those packages and build what you
> need at runtime.  I believe some of the guestfs stuff works that way.

Correct, libguestfs builds an appliance at runtime.  It caches the
appliance per-user to avoid this build cost.

Actually you (the original poster) can try this quite easily since the
tools for doing it are already in Fedora.  To prepare an appliance
containing systemd plus dependencies:

  $ supermin --prepare systemd -o /tmp/supermin.d
  $ supermin --build /tmp/supermin.d -o /tmp/appliance.d -f chroot   # [1]

Examining /tmp/supermin.d and /tmp/appliance.d may be enlightening at
this point.

Note that the '--prepare' step would normally be done when building
the RPM (ie. in the spec file), and the '--build' step would normally
be done on the end-user's machine.

Rich.

[1] Ignore any permission denied errors you see in the second step:
https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/467