F23 System Wide Change: Mono 4

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon May 4 12:32:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 05:02 -0400, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Mono 4 =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mono_4
> * Make a one time exception of the rule for build mono 4.0.1-1 using
> monolite, later make mono depend again on it self and rebuild mono
> 4.0.1-2 using mono-4.0.1-1 .

This isn't really an exceptional case. In fact, it's pretty common for
compilers to need a bootstrap. If I recall correctly, GCC is always
built twice when upgrading to a new release: first using the previous
version of gcc that was in the stable repository, then again using the
new version.

So I don't really see any problem with bootstrapping it once with
monolite and then rebuilding it with itself, provided of course that
all of this happens in Rawhide well before Branch (the earlier the
better; ideally prior to the Mass Rebuild for F23).