Unison in Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 7 17:50:02 UTC 2015

On Thu, 7 May 2015 08:58:45 -0600
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, just as mentioned in the previous thread, if you do things
> > this way it means every user of any unison will have to get a
> > useless update everytime any version of unison in your combined
> > package updates for any reason. Thats pretty disruptive.
>
> I think the issue is that none of those versions are getting updates
> anymore. They are dead code... any fix that is going to be in one is
> probably going to be in all of them so they would all need it.

I mean that anytime you say add a new version to it, or fix some minor
packaging issue in just one, _EVERYONE_ with _ANY_ version will then
get the update (even though it actually changes nothing on their
system).

ie, you have:

unison package that ships all of Unison 2.13.16, 2.27.57, 2.40.128

Users install the one they need/want to use.

you add 2.48.3 and all those users of the other 3 will get an update
with 0 changes.

I don't think just adding new packages is that big a deal to save
everyone from this.

kevin