ping6 and other tool6 awkwardness

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Tue May 12 15:19:21 UTC 2015

> While working for an updated ipcalc to support ipv6 transparently, I
> figured we have more tools which are not IPv6-ready and awkwardly
> provide an additional tool with a -6 suffix, supposedly for separate
> IPv6 support. That looks like a relic of the past, we still drag. IPv6
> support should be transparent in programs (fortunately we don't have
> ssh6). Any objection to fill bugs to merge the following tools with
> their ipv4 equivalent?

It would be very desirable to modify the non-6 tools to have transparent IPv6 support. After that happens, I don’t think removing the -6 tools and possibly breaking scripts will really help anything; perhaps it would make sense to move them out of the default install, but doing any more work with the only possible effect something being broken is not that attractive ☺
     Mirek