Fedora on Android

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri May 15 18:11:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-14 at 14:39 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> On 05/13/2015 08:03 PM, Les Howell wrote:
>
> > I created a new UI for GRBL using Python with tkinter.  Not bad, but it
> > won't work on an Android Notepad (GX10 from a company called EKEN),
> > which was my target.
> Are you running the entire show from the notepad? I am asking because
> a popular architecture is to run e.g. LinuxCNC on an embedded Intel
> (Atom)  or ARM (Beaglebone) motherboard with rich I/O, and use Android
> tablets for GUI. In that case, you can install X on Android (e.g.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=x.org.server )
> and run GUI client on the main computer, displaying  on the Android
> server over the USB networking.
>
> DISPLAY=192.168.1.11:0  wish testbuttons.tcl
>

> It runs fine, although the mouse interaction is awkward (have to slide
> the cursor to the target first before tapping to click).

Using a Beaglebone or a Raspberry pi would be in many ways better.  But
I bought the pad expressly for the purpose and would be controlling GRBL
through it.  It was a poor design decision I guess, but I have it all
working except for running my gui on the pad.  I am thinking now about
using the PI with one of the more powerful Gcode interpreters such as
Universal Gcode sender or whatever.  Looks like that might be the way to
go.  But there is added complexity...
	1.  I would have to purchase a monitor or display for the PI or
Beaglebone
	2.  I would have to purchase the Pi or beagle bone
	3.  I would have to wire them into the existing stepper controllers
	4.  I would have to support a keyboard & mouse or trackball and also
purchase that device.
	5.  Checking my local store, the keyboard could be as cheap as $9.00,
the Raspberry Pi B+2 is about $35, I could use the SD card from the pad,
or buy a new one for about $15,  a small monitor rebuilt is $75.  A
mouse would be about $14 or a trakball for about $22. (wired) ,  There
is a neat small keyboard with trackball for about $40 that would be
nice.  I like the idea of the trackball for if I have to use a non-touch
interface as there is less likely hood of debris mucking it up.

	There are always trade offs.  I'm in the process of moving the code to
native Android using ADS.  That will take me a couple of weeks since I
get tired of learning new stuff.  Somehow with 20+languages under my
belt, you would think I could figure out a better method... But
sometimes the cloud of terminology and thought dust just gets in the
way.

	And by the way, this is a "fun" hack, or at least it was.

Regards,
Les H