F23 System Wide Change: Mono 4

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus.pokorra at solidcharity.com
Mon May 18 11:45:18 UTC 2015

Hello Peter,

>> Peter, do you have a list what will be rebuilt?
>
> Not really, I would expect this to be provided by the Change owners.
>
> The core bits I've looked at are:
> graphviz
> avahi
>
> As they impact the rest of the distro.
>
> and a few other packages. There appears to be problems with a number
> of the packages regarding either version checks for mono itself or
> requiring gmcs, what ever that is! Anything I've rebuilt or tried is
> against the above tag so should be straight forward to find.
>
> Either way it looks like there is still quite a bit of work for the
> change owners to do before we can tag anything over to f23.
>
> Peter

Thanks for looking into this and creating that tag f23-mono4

I received about 60 emails about failing packages.

Claudio and myself have already been working on fixing the packages.
Claudio worked on a lot of packages. The updated specs are available here:
https://github.com/elsupergomez/lbs-mono-fedora
Also a readme telling the current status:
https://github.com/elsupergomez/lbs-mono-fedora/blob/master/README.md

Basically, gmcs (the compiler of Mono) needs to be replaced with mcs,
and the project files need to be updated to .net 4.5.
This can mostly be done with an sed script.

Now, is it our task as the change owners to update each and every
package that depends on Mono?
We have done a lot of preparation work, but would welcome the package
owners to review our changes to the spec files and import them into
their packages...
Does it work like that?
Should we contact the package owners one by one, or will they get
automatically notified that their package fails against Mono4?

Thanks,
  Timotheus