F23 System Wide Change: Mono 4

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:57:44 UTC 2015

>> Either way it looks like there is still quite a bit of work for the
>> change owners to do before we can tag anything over to f23.
>>
>> Peter
>
> Thanks for looking into this and creating that tag f23-mono4
>
> I received about 60 emails about failing packages.
>
> Claudio and myself have already been working on fixing the packages.
> Claudio worked on a lot of packages. The updated specs are available here:
> https://github.com/elsupergomez/lbs-mono-fedora

They should be filed as patches against the current spec files in
bugzilla for the respective packages not shoved into some git repo
somwhere where people are magically expected to find them.

> Also a readme telling the current status:
> https://github.com/elsupergomez/lbs-mono-fedora/blob/master/README.md

Again, needs to be a central place for Fedora package maintainers to know.

> Basically, gmcs (the compiler of Mono) needs to be replaced with mcs,
> and the project files need to be updated to .net 4.5.
> This can mostly be done with an sed script.
>
> Now, is it our task as the change owners to update each and every
> package that depends on Mono?

Yes, you are afterall the change owners. If necessary apply as a
co-maintainer on the packages. I would expect you to be involved
moving forward in the overall maintainership of the mono stack in
Fedora so I doubt this is going to be a one off event.

> We have done a lot of preparation work, but would welcome the package
> owners to review our changes to the spec files and import them into
> their packages...
> Does it work like that?

It can, partially, but for the maintainers to know about your changes
you need to file bug reports in bugzilla, I suggest also you have a
mono4 tracking bug for all the bugs to block so it's easy for people
to track the status and help out as it's a central location.

> Should we contact the package owners one by one, or will they get
> automatically notified that their package fails against Mono4?

Bugzilla, see above.