Rapid release for security updates

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 19 13:32:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 9:24 AM, Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2015 03:17 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>>
>> On 05/19/2015 04:12 AM, drago01 wrote:
>>>
>>> Why does it take so long? Most firefox uipdates get enough karma
>>> before they end up in testing.
>>> In that case they should be picked up by the next push (which is still
>>> a manual process afaik; so no idea how often it happens).
>>

>> Firefox 38.0 entered and exited bodhi in about 29 hours. That's pretty
>> good.
>

> Firefox 38.0, Fedora 20, security update. Submitted 2015-05-13, not yet
> stable (only submitted for stable now, have not hit the repository).
>
>> Firefox 38.0.1, marked as "bugfix" and not "security", has only been in
>> bodhi for 24 hours.
>

> That's F20/F21 case, not Fedora 20.
>
>> @OP, If you need more eyes on updates you're free to post to this list
>> or the test list.
>

> Thanks, but is there anything better? The F20 updates are usually ignored...

They aren't ignored by rel-eng.  They're ignored by users/testers.  We
see the same issue with kernel updates for whatever the oldest stable
release is, particularly as we get towards EOL for that release.  As
people migrate to the newer releases, the older ones are simply less
used.

The only thing you can do is ask for testing/karma help here and on
the test list.  If it's really super urgent critical, you can probably
discuss with rel-eng to get it pushed without karma, but that is
always risky too.

josh