Including tlp in Fedora Workstation by default

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:57:42 UTC 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 11:21, Nadim Kobeissi <nadim at nadim.computer> wrote:
> 1: My understanding is that tlp ships with a default configuration that,
> without any modification, will enable reasonable settings for power saving.

I think what the kernel is providing is reasonable, from a regression
/ feature point of view. I agree some of the kconfig options could be
modified in a few cases, although this is the pain when we have a
single kernel for all the different products.

> then the Fedora package can modify these defaults accordingly
> while keeping the things we like and consider safe.

Do you think that the average user with a clicking sound card or disk
corruption when suspending would be able to make the link to this new
package?

> We shouldn't inhibit
> progressively better Fedora user experience until the kernel is perfect;
> this would mean years of waiting for regular users.

We shouldn't paper over the cracks. I've seen that again and again and
it just stops being maintainable after a few years.

Richard