Including tlp in Fedora Workstation by default

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu May 28 12:11:54 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 11:57 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 28 May 2015 at 11:21, Nadim Kobeissi <nadim at nadim.computer> wrote:
> > 1: My understanding is that tlp ships with a default configuration
> > that,
> > without any modification, will enable reasonable settings for power
> > saving.
>
> I think what the kernel is providing is reasonable, from a regression
> / feature point of view. I agree some of the kconfig options could be
> modified in a few cases, although this is the pain when we have a
> single kernel for all the different products.

Actually, it *does* sound like this package might provide a way to
mitigate that situation (single kernel). If tlp can accept a
configuration file for what tweaks to make, then we can use the per
-product config feature to allow us to set certain features differently
on Workstation compared to Server/Cloud or non-product. (This would
still probably mean shipping things like the USB autosuspend disabled,
due to the other effects it can have).

Also, it's possible in the Fedora package to ship this tool without the
GUI (or at least, separate the GUI into a subpackage which isn't
installed by default, similar to how we do things with Epiphany). If we
don't *expose* these as options, but instead use the package to tweak
our defaults, would that provide some benefit here?