fedup for F23 and beyond

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu May 28 18:39:35 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 11:42 AM, Will Woods wrote:
>   Here's how it should work:
>
> 1) Download packages for the new system
> 2) Use the systemd Offline Updates[2] facility to install packages
>
> This is really simple - simple enough that it should probably be
> provided by the system packaging tools themselves.
Actually, there is a broad issue here: is there a point where the system
is so stable that updating is a continuous process without the need for
a Fedora N -> N+1 transitions? Specifically, will we have a 3-digit
Fedora release in May 2053 :-?

It seems to me that the 6-month release cycle has traditionally been
driven by two separate reasons: technology and workflow. The first is a
need to accommodate major, incompatible technology shifts. The second
one just introduces a natural cadence of work leading to an orderly
release.

Do you think the tech could stabilize enough to obviate the first
reason? The 6-month workflow cadence remains a good idea, of course,
but  could result in a major offline upgrade, instead of  an entire new
distribution.