fedup for F23 and beyond

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu May 28 20:05:53 UTC 2015

Am 28.05.2015 um 21:58 schrieb Michael Catanzaro:
> On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 14:39 -0400, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>> Do you think the tech could stabilize enough to obviate the first
>> reason? The 6-month workflow cadence remains a good idea, of course,
>> but  could result in a major offline upgrade, instead of  an entire
>> new distribution.
>
> I think we're already at the point where -- at least for Fedora
> Workstation (not sure about Server/Cloud), and except for
> infrastructure issues -- we can stop branding our releases with a
> version number, and simply have a particularly big offline update every
> six months. Behind-the-scenes, we still have the six-month cycle, but
> this is hidden to users. They get Fedora and it's just Fedora, not
> Fedora 21 or Fedora 22. People stop complaining about the 13-months of
> support that isn't long enough for them: we wouldn't have that short
> support window anymore, instead there is *indefinite* support so long
> as you take your monthly QAed updates pack (five small updates packs,
> then a big updates pack, then five smaller ones, then a big one, ...).
> This is the model Windows is moving to, and it makes a lot of sense to
> me

when i hear "offline update" i have enough at all

frankly what people really need is relieable and fast *online updates*
and not taking the esay road "well go offline" and that works pretty
well over many years now *with expierience* what services you need to
restart and if you should log off or just close specific applicatoons
and start them again

giving up and say "meh i am not able and so go offline" may work for
some part of the userbase, that maybe even fine *as long* efforts to
continue what we have now for many many years for advanced users won't die