fedup for F23 and beyond

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Thu May 28 23:56:04 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org>
wrote:

> ...we can stop branding our releases with a
> version number...we still have the six-month cycle, but
> this is hidden to users...this is the model Windows is moving to...

As Josh alluded, I'm not exactly clear on the value of keeping things the
same behind the
scenes and hiding the release levels from the users.  For me, the release
change indicates
first of all that I should read the release notes and familiarize myself
with what has changed.

The release number also serves as an easy reference to what levels of
software you're running,
albeit at a high level (due to maintenance changes).  You're always going
to need to understand
that and if you get rid of the release number you'll need to come up with
another type of
indicator that is as simple and easy to understand.

Matt referenced the advertising factor; and that's a great point.  Everyone
always is interested
in the latest and greatest.  The press is geared toward that... everyone is
always buzzing about
the new Android release, IOS version, Windows version, etc.

Speaking of Windows, their strategy has more to do about changes to their
revenue model (which
has been driven by the fact that Linux, IOS, Android, etc. are "Free".)
than anything else.  They are still
talking about major updates and if past experience is any guide you'll
probably see major changes
identified as "Service Pack X" as they did in the past.