fedup for F23 and beyond

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at gnome.org
Fri May 29 13:47:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 17:11 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> Good luck with that vision. I would buy into it a bit more if this
> wasn't the same chestnut dragged out every couple of releases to
> somehow motivate us to accept whatever big OS change is being pushed.
> It has become the "Cry Wolf" story and while eventually the wolf eats
> the flock... it does so because no one believes the criers anymore.
> Please, come up with a better story than people will drop us for
> Ubuntu because none of the changes we have done have stopped that
> from
> happening when it has happened.. and none of them have made us
> overtake Ubuntu in the last 8 years.

The difference this time is that our primary competitor is doing it in
the near future [1], and we have someone actively working on competing
technology [2].

At least for Fedora Workstation, we cannot head towards a future where
all of our applications are older than what Ubuntu is shipping. That's
untenable for us.

[1] http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/more-stable-future-ubuntu
[2] https://lis
ts.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-May/012362.html