fedup for F23 and beyond

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri May 29 16:52:10 UTC 2015

Am 29.05.2015 um 18:39 schrieb Gerald B. Cox:
> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org
> <mailto:mcatanzaro at gnome.org>> wrote:
>
>     ...our primary competitor is doing it in the near future...
>     ...we cannot head towards a future where all of our applications are
>     older than what Ubuntu is shipping...
>
> I'm failing to connect the dots here... snappy is a different packaging
> paradigm with some advantages
> and disadvantages; but how exactly does it ensure that distributed
> packages are newer?  Isn't that
> a function of the packager?

it does not and yes it depends on the package, but hey it's "new and
cool" while a recent and well maintained distribution with *one*
cnrealized package management is the biggest benefit of a linux distribution

any thoughts throwing away this centralized and dependency based package
management (even in parts) will do much more harm then not follow every
recent buzz-thing *especially* in case of a distribution released every
6 months

all that talking about "competitors" is just FUD and nothing else to
justify large changes for a unknown win - simple example: if i would
care about ubuntu and gnome i would not use Fedora, frankly i switched
to Linux in times Ubuntu was still the most famous distribution
*because* i did not like to switch from Windows to a different OS with
the slightest Windows touch at all and to say it frankly *because* i did
not search a operating system many people are using *but* one which fits
*my needs* and Fedora was that operating system

NOBODY needs Fedora to be similar to Ubuntu
REALLY NOBODY because otherwise we won't need more than one Linux distro