[HEADS UP] Upcoming soname change for libtirpc

Steve Dickson SteveD at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 21:05:58 UTC 2015

On 11/02/2015 03:32 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-11-02 at 14:59 -0500, Steve Dickson wrote:
>
>>> Folks, this is not okay. This is not the right way to do things. If
>>> you
>>> aren't reasonably sure that all the library's consumers can be made
>>> work with the new version of the library, *don't put the new
>>> version in
>>> Rawhide*. Rawhide isn't a dumping ground for random new code and
>>> has
>>> not been for some time. It is not okay to just break the entire
>>> thing
>>> and say 'we'll fix it once we've finished the upstream work'. The
>>> upstream work needs to happen *before* you break Rawhide.
>>>
>>> We're doing all this work across several teams to compose and test
>>> Rawhide regularly, and it's kind of pointless if people are just
>>> going
>>> to break the whole thing gratuitously. Please do not do this.
>>>
>>> Policy:
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#Rawhide_.2F_devel_.2F
>>> _master
>> Boy... I sure wish this policy was pointed out earlier...
>> I had no idea that existed.. I realize ignorances is not an excuse
>> so for that I do apologize..
>
> Thanks a lot. It just is a bit frustrating to multiple teams -
> anaconda, QA, and releng are all working on making Rawhide more of a
> known quantity, and this kind of things breaks it for all of us.

>>> Note that that clearly says "A week in advance, notify maintainers
>>> who
>>> depend on their package to rebuild when there are abi/api changes
>>> that
>>> require rebuilds in other packages or offer to do these rebuilds
>>> for
>>> them." *A WEEK IN ADVANCE*. This bump was submitted to Koji on the
>>> *same day* it was notified, 2015-10-30.
>> To be clear.. I should have waited a week after I sent this mail to
>> bump the version, correct? If so what could the maintainers do during
>> that week to make things smother?
>
> Yes. What could - and should - happen during the week is you could run
> test builds of the affected packages, and find these problems, and then
> hold off on doing the build in Rawhide until resolutions were
> available. There are various strategies for that. The casual way I'd do
> it would be to do a scratch build of libtirpc , download the results,
> make a side repository, and do mock builds of the dependent packages.
> It's easy to create a mock target which uses a local side repository:
> you just copy the config file for an existing target and add an
> additional repository definition to it right at the bottom, above the
> closing """, like this:
>
> [side]
> baseurl=file:///home/adamw/local/repo2/x86_64
> enabled=1
Ah... this is a good idea... I wish I would have thought of it.

> """
>
> That's from my 'Rawhide with a side repo' target definition file,
> /etc/mock/fedora-rawhide-x86_64-side.cfg . Mock target names are the
> basenames of the config file, so to do a build against that target I'd
> do:
>
> mock -r fedora-rawhide-x86_64-side --rebuild some.src.rpm
>
> I'd have the packages I wanted to build against in
> /home/adamw/local/repo2/x86_64 and I'd have run 'createrepo .' in that
> directory.
>
> You can also request a tag from releng for doing significant bump-and-
> rebuild operations like this; that's basically a sorta playground space
> in Koji, you can do a build of the soname-bumped library in the tag and
> then try building all the dependent packages in the same tag, and none
> of the stuff will ever appear in the official repos, unless you
> manually tag it across once you're happy with it. Finally, you could
> use COPR - just create a COPR, do the soname bumped build, and try
> building all the deps in the same COPR. That might be the easiest way.

Boy... I do wish we had the conversation two days ago! :-)

I really didn't have any ideas on how to do this gracefully,
which was the purpose of this email to be begin with...
I've changed soname in the past so I know how painful it
can be...

Last week, instead of us talking about graphics cards and
gaming machines... maybe we should have been talking about
soname changes! ;-)

steved.

P.S I am working feverishly on trying to Humpty Dumpty
back together again!