Update pushing and bugzilla workflow

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Mon Nov 2 23:46:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:30:41 -0800
> Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> This has been bugging me for a while: what's the best practice, or
>> even a good practice, for pushing updates to more than one Fedora
>> version at a time?
>>
>> Suppose I that foo-1.0-1 is current in fc22, fc23, and rawhide.  I
>> want to update them all to foo-1.0-2.
>>
>> Obviously step 1 is to build all three new versions.  Rawhide
>> automatically picks up the new build at the next compose.  All is
>> well.
>
> ..snip...
>
>> Is there some other workflow that makes sense here?
>
> I think you are overthinking it.
>
> Personally, I build everything, test locally, then either create
> updates with 'fedpkg update' in each branch, or go to the web interface
> (that lets you make all of them at once for multiple branches), and
> leave close bugs on stable set.

I swear I tried exactly that a couple of days after Bodhi 2 went live.
Maybe it was broken back then.

> Sure then if your f23 update goes stable the bug gets closed, but if
> there's still a problem you can re-open it. If not, bodhi actually
> updates the 'fixed in' field with the other updates when they go stable
> too.
>
> The alternative would be to basically setup a tracker bug (the
> problem/issue) with blocks subbugs for each release, which IMHO is way
> too much overhead. People are perfectly capable of seeing a bug that
> was closed for f23 is still applicable to the f22 update thats in
> testing and has the bug attached to it.

Nah, that's way too complicated.  On the other hand, if Bodhi already
understands how to let me select two builds, one for f22 and one for
f23, then maybe some enterprising Bodhi developer would want to teach
Bodhi to track them together.

--Andy