[HEADS UP] Ongoing rebuild of Python3.5 in Rawhide

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 10:01:36 UTC 2015

>> On 11/04/2015 12:23 PM, Robert Kuska wrote:
>> > There is ongoing rebuild of Python3.5 in rawhide's side-tag f24-python3.
>> >
>> > I would like to ask all maintainers to rebuild their packages (which
>> > depend on python3) within the f24-python3 side-tag.
>> >
>> > To rebuild your package simply run:
>> > `fedpkg build --target f24-python3`
>> >
>> > You can find all packages that were already rebuilt here:
>> >
>> > http://taiga.cloud.fedoraproject.org/project/rkuska-python35-rebuild/kanban
>> >
>> > Feel free to add your package once your build pass successfully. Side-tag
>> > will be merged hopefully by the end of the week, mass rebuild will follow
>> > to avoid breakage of rawhide.
>>
>> Thanks for doing this! Great to see Python 3.5 landing.
>>
>> I have a concern with the above plan though that says that Python 3.5
>> will be merged into rawhide, followed by a mass rebuild. I would say it
>> makes sense to do it the other way around though: First rebuild all the
>> dependant packages in the side tag, and only then merge it all back into
>> rawhide, avoiding breakage.
>>
>> You say that "mass rebuild will follow to avoid breakage of rawhide" --
>> I am not sure how you mean this, but if the plan is to merge back Python
>> 3.5 into rawhide and then wait for the F24 mass rebuild, I would say
>> this is not a good plan. Please rebuild things before merging it back.
>>
>> The reason why I am saying that it is not a good plan to rely on the F24
>> mass rebuild to rebuild all the Python modules is that the mass rebuild
>> is done in alphabetical order, just going from a-z. This does not work
>> for rebuilding large dependency chains because for those, you'd have to
>> go in dependency order, waiting for lower level packages to hit the
>> build roots before moving on to packages that depend on those. Regular
>> mass rebuilds don't do this and as such, cannot be used for rebuilding
>> big dependency chains such as the Python 3 stack.
>
> I've rebuilt already 100+ packages, see
> http://taiga.cloud.fedoraproject.org/project/rkuska-python35-rebuild/kanban
> for real time info about rebuild.
>
> There is 970 packages that BuildRequires: python3-devel
> http://paste.fedoraproject.org/286568/65788251/
>
> I can't rebuild them all, I will try to get 200+- packages done before the
> merge. It was stated in the Change that was accepted for this rebuild.

If you give me a list of packages, in the rel-eng side tag ticket is
fine, I can run the rel-eng mass rebuild script against it and
complete the rest before they're tagged in, I'd sooner spend a little
time on that than have mass breakage for weeks in rawhide. It might
not get them all if there's dependencies but it should get the vast
majority

>> Also, you've asked for individual maintainers to rebuild their packages
>> on the side tag. Sure, it's great to give individual package maintainers
>> an option to do it first, but you can't rely on that. I know how this is
>> going to go: a few maintainers are going to rebuild their packages, but
>> the vast majority won't. It will need action from the proposal owners to
>> get everything rebuilt -- that what provenpackager access is for.
>
> I know I can't rely on this and I don't expect many packagers to rebuild their
> packages, yet it is still worth to give them this opportunity for those who
> are proactive.

In theory that fine, in practice is doesn't really work out.

Peter