Browser choice in live images

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Nov 5 16:37:24 UTC 2015

On Thu, 05 Nov 2015 10:22:23 -0600
Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowi at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 09:53 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 16:21 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> > > I see that the F23 Xfce live image still includes only Midori as
> > > the internet browser, similar to the F22 image.
> >
> > Midori still depends on an old version of WebKitGTK+, so it has not
> > had any security updates in a long time. It's irresponsible to ship
> > it until this is fixed.
>
> WebKitGTK+ 2.4.9 was shipped in May, and 2.4.8 before that in January
> with a bunch of security fixes, all despite the fact that they had
> since released 2.6.x and 2.8.x.  This tells me that the 2.4 branch,
> while deprecated, continues to be maintained.

So, in no particular order:

* I don't really think it's 'irresponsible' to ship midori in it's
  current state. It's not ideal, but if you know of specific critical
  issues not fixed, please let me know.

* Midori upstream is working on moving to webkit2 (for quite a while
  now). They have the base browser pretty much done, but they still are
  working on porting some of the plugins. They keep hoping to switch
  defaults soon, but they are a small project and have as much time as
  they have. Any assistance with porting I'm sure would be welcome.

* All that said, the reason for not shipping firefox was that we were
  trying to keep under cd size. Since we gave up on that a few releases
  back, I have no objection to re-adding firefox on the Xfce spin.
  (which I have just done)

kevin