Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Nov 7 11:31:01 UTC 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3#CPUs_with_SSE3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3#New_instructions

> (-msse3 is not part of Fedora's gcc implicit CFLAGS).

and that is really sad because it wastes for 99.9% of users performance
and hence i override the builds of perormance relevant software since
years with optimized falgs while hat -fstack-protector-all in use long
before Fedora supported and switched to -fstack-protector-strong

in other words: you get the small performance impact of hardening back
by better utilize your existing hardware instead castrate your whole
software to nostalgic decades

>> any system not older than 10 years has SSE3  and frankly systems older
>> than 10 years are hardly a traget for Fedora at all
>
> So, Fedora or Linux as a resort to escape Windows on old HW is not a
> Fedora target anymore?

come on and install a recent Fedora on such old machines, guess what
SSE3 or not is your smallest problem