Retire a package from Fedora i686 (not x86_64)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 7 13:05:50 UTC 2015

Reindl Harald wrote:
> come on and don't tell me 99% of i686 users have machines older than 10
> years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE3 because "ntel introduced SSE3
> in early 2004 with the Prescott revision of their Pentium 4 CPU"
>
> those machines would not be able to run a recent Fedora due all the
> bloat introduced over the years - try a system update with 512 MB and
> shake your hands with the OOM-killer

I have a computer without SSE3. It runs Fedora just fine. I initially had 1
GiB of RAM in it, I upgraded it to 3 GiB.

> Fedora incompatible?
>
> many software including the kernel has binary code for AVX and even AVX2
> and is using CPU runtime detection - using SSE3 instructions in a
> software is not bound to compiler flags and when a upstream developer
> don't care about 11 year old hardware you have to suck taht downstrem

What he means is that Fedora policies DO NOT allow REQUIRING those
instruction sets. Runtime detection is of course fine.

The problem we are having now is upstream projects that do not support ANY
kind of fallback, not even at compile time. (Those are also inherently non-
portable because they don't work on any other CPU architecture.) Chromium/V8
is another such problem program.

        Kevin Kofler